Friday, April 10, 2009

My Most Interesting Experience as a Teacher

I have been a first grade teacher for now finishing my 6th year. I love it! There are so many things I love about teaching! If you know me, you probably have heard me talk about my kids and experiences often- maybe even too often. Being a teacher for a while, I have seen a lot of interesting things happen- some funny and some not so funny. This week I think I saw the most interesting thing I have ever experienced in my teaching career. I wanted to share. Something interesting indeed did happen! :-)

This story made me laugh a lot! I cannot believe it happened. I have shared it with several people since. If you are familiar with the layout of the school I teach at, that will help you with making the story even funnier for you. Promise!

Being a first grade teacher, we have bathroom breaks. One afternoon I took my children to the bathroom. Before they enter the bathroom, I always go in and check it. I check it to make sure they have toilet paper and that the toilets aren't clogged and things liked that. Well, that day I did that. I had sent the girls into their bathroom and the boys into theirs-- two at a time for each. Well, then I stepped into the school office to ask the secretary a question. Then, I walked by the boys bathroom. I keep the door open a little bit, so I can see where little feet are. When I walked by, I noticed that the mirror and paper towel dispensers were wet. I was just in there checking the bathroom. I hadn't noticed that before. So, I asked a boy if he knew anything about that. He just stared at me. I asked again. Again, he stared. I then asked if he did anything to make this wet. He said, "Yes, I peed on it!" I said, "What? How did you do that? Where were you standing?" This is where if you know the layout of our school, it helps with making the story funnier. There is a partition that separates the sinks/mirror from the urinal. The partition has to be about at least 6 feet tall-- its taller than me. I asked the child where he was standing. He was standing at the urinal. So, somehow, he had problems and went on the mirror. I was just flabbergasted how this could happen. Evidently, he was playing!

I'm not trying to be crude! But, I just thought it was hilarious. I kept my composure in front of him, but I then went in the office to get someone to disinfect the mirror and paper towel dispensers, then I lost it. I just think it is so funny! I thought this, indeed, was the most interesting thing I have ever seen in first grade. This is the most interesting thing I've seen a babe do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I'm excited to see your thoughts about my stories from "Out of the Mouth of Babes." I hope you enjoyed reading.